Cambridge Dictionaries online Cambridge Dictionaries online

The most popular online dictionary and thesaurus for learners of English

English definition of “Romanesque”


adjective uk   /ˌrəʊ.məˈnesk/ us    /ˌroʊ-/ specialized
relating to the style of building that was common in Western and Southern Europe from the 10th to the 12th centuriesArchitectureMiddle Ages (medieval Period) 501-1500
noun [U] uk   us  
ArchitectureMiddle Ages (medieval Period) 501-1500
(Definition of Romanesque from the Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)
What is the pronunciation of Romanesque?
Add Cambridge dictionaries to your browser to your website

Translations of “Romanesque”

Word of the Day


to throw or drop something carelessly

Word of the Day


Read our blog about how the English language behaves.

Learn More

New Words

Find words and meanings that have just started to be used in English, and let us know what you think of them.

Learn More