Cambridge Dictionaries online Cambridge Dictionaries online

The most popular online dictionary and thesaurus for learners of English

English definition of “Romanesque”


adjective     /ˌrəʊ.məˈnesk/ US  /ˌroʊ-/ specialized
relating to the style of building that was common in Western and Southern Europe from the 10th to the 12th centuriesArchitectureMiddle Ages (medieval Period) 501-1500 Romanesque     noun [U] ArchitectureMiddle Ages (medieval Period) 501-1500
(Definition of Romanesque adjective from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)
Focus on the pronunciation of Romanesque

Browse related topics

You are looking at an entry to do with Middle Ages (medieval Period) 501-1500, but you might be interested in these topics from the History topic area:

Translations of “Romanesque”

Word of the Day

well in (with)

to have a good relationship with someone in which they like you and from which you get an advantage

Word of the Day


Read our blog about how the English language behaves.

Learn More

New Words

Find words and meanings that have just started to be used in English, and let us know what you think of them.

Learn More