advance verb (MOVE FORWARD)
- The troops quickly established a beachhead and were preparing to advance.
- She's the youngest player ever to advance to a semifinal.
- Enemy planes engaged the troops as they advanced into the mountains.
- Using smoke as (a) camouflage, the army advanced up the hill.
- Everyone was disappointed when the team failed to advance to the next round of the competition.
advance verb (PAY)
advance noun (MOVEMENT)
Nothing could stop the advance of the floodwaters. 洪水滔滔奔来，势不可挡。
- Could you let me know in advance whether or not you will be coming?
- Is it possible to buy tickets in advance?
- Passengers should tell the airline in advance if they have any special dietary needs.
- Most holiday companies request a 20% deposit in advance.
- Did you check in advance whether there was access for wheelchairs?