allow verb (GIVE PERMISSION)
Her proposals would allow (= make it possible for) more people to stay in full-time education. 她的提议会使更多的人能够继续接受全日制教育。
The loophole has allowed hundreds of drink-drivers to avoid prosecution. 这个法律漏洞使得数以百计的酒后驾车者钻了空子，逃避了追诉。
The government has refused to allow foreign journalists into the area for several weeks. 该政府禁止外国记者进入这个地区已经有好几周了。
Pets aren't allowed in this hotel. 这个旅馆不准许将宠物带入。
Red Cross officials were allowed access to the prison for the first time a few days ago. 几天前，红十字会的官员首次获准进入该监狱。
At the weekend I allow myself (= I give myself the special pleasure of having) a box of chocolates. 每逢周末我给自己开戒，吃一盒巧克力。
allow me old-fashioned
- There is no smoking allowed anywhere on school premises.
- You're not allowed to swim when the red flag is flying.
- After a long boring afternoon I was finally allowed to leave.
- "I will not allow that kind of behaviour in my class, " the teacher said severely.
- He took a step backwards to allow her to pass.