ask verb (QUESTION)
[ + question word ] I've no idea what time the train leaves. Ask the guard whether he knows. 我不知道火车什么时候开，问问列车长是否知道。
ask verb (INVITE)
UK I've asked David to the party. 我已经邀请了戴维参加聚会。
"Are you going to Muriel's party?" "No, I haven't been asked." “你去参加缪里尔的聚会吗？”“不，我没有接到邀请。”
ask verb (EXPECT)
He asks too much of me - I can't always be there to help him. 他对我的要求太过分了——我不能总在那里帮他吧。
- They were asking £180,000 for the place, so I put in an offer of £170,000.
- They're asking £60,000 for their flat, but the market price is nearer £55,000.
- We thought they were asking a very high price.
- I thought being asked to miss my lunch was a bit much.
- To expect me to look after her kids all day is asking a bit much.