beat verb (DEFEAT)
Simon always beats me at tennis. 西蒙打网球总是赢我。
Holland beat Belgium (by) 3–1. 荷兰队3比1战胜比利时队。
The Miami Heat beat the Pacers 95-90/by five points.
Our team was comfortably/easily/soundly beaten in the first round of the competition. 在第一轮比赛中我们队被对手轻松地／毫不费劲儿地／彻底打败了。
slang Taking the bus beats the hell out of (= is much better than) walking all the way there. 坐公共汽车比一路走到那儿要好得多。
beat sb to it
beat verb (HIT)
She was beaten to death. 她被活活打死了。
Beat the drum. 打起鼓来。
beat a path through sth
- The rain beat against her face as she struggled through the wind.
- They've threatened to beat him to a jelly if he doesn't repay the money.
- People were shocked by the advertisement which depicted a woman beating her husband.
- His bruises lent credence to his statement that he had been beaten.
- I felt sick when I heard about the prisoners being beaten.
beat verb (MIX)
beat verb (MOVEMENT)
beatadjective [ after verb ]uk /biːt/ us /biːt/ informal
beat noun (MOVEMENT)
beat noun (MUSIC)
beat noun (AREA)