capacity noun (AMOUNT)
The game was watched by a capacity crowd/audience of 50,000 (= the place was completely full). 比赛场座无虚席，5万观众观看了比赛。
The purchase of 500 tanks is part of a strategy to increase military capacity by 25 percent over the next five years. 购买500辆坦克是在今后5年里将军事力量增加25%的战略计划的一部分。
[ + to infinitive ] It seems to be beyond his capacity to (= he seems to be unable to) follow simple instructions. 他好像连简单的指令也听不懂。
Do you think it's within his capacity to (= do you think he'll be able to) do the job without making a mess of it? 你认为他有能力完成这项工作而不把它搞砸吗？
The larger cars have bigger capacity engines (= the engines are bigger and more powerful). 大轿车引擎功率也比较大。
All our factories are working at (full) capacity (= are producing goods as fast as possible). 我们所有的工厂都在满负荷运行。
We are running below capacity (= not producing as many goods as we are able to) because of cancelled orders. 因为订单取消，我们的工厂开工不足。
- She had an immense capacity for love.
- He lacked the capacity to listen.
- The last five years have seen a huge increase in the country's export capacity.
- The company has expanded its premises with a new 10,000 sq ft factory and plans to double capacity.
- They are trying to operate beyond the capacity of the airport.