charge verb (MONEY)
charge sth to sb's account
- How much do you charge for hiring out a bicycle for a week?
- He charges anywhere from $20 to $50 for a haircut and blow-dry.
- The restaurant charges shockingly high prices for its food.
- My plumber charges £20 an hour.
- The policy of charging air travellers for vegetarian meals proved unpopular.
charge verb (ACCUSE FORMALLY)
She's been charged with murder. 她被控谋杀。
- Two sisters have been charged with murder.
- He tried to run away from the police and was charged with resisting arrest.
- He was charged with driving 75 mph in a 55 mph zone.
- Several England supporters were arrested and charged with disturbing the peace after the match.
- Six rugby internationals were charged with taking drugs to improve their performance.
charge verb (MOVE FORWARD)
- The children charged in, demanding ice cream.
- As the protesters drew nearer, the soldiers charged.
- Stop charging around - you'll wear yourself out!
- The herd of rhinos charged towards us.
- Crowds of demonstrators charged police lines.
charge verb (ORDER)
charge noun (MONEY)
There's an admission charge of £5. 要收5英镑的入场费。
- Adults pay an admission charge but children get in free.
- Although long-distance phone calls are going up, the charge for local calls will not alter.
- Interest charges on an overdraft are usually quite high.
- Prescription charges are rising in June.
- I just want a basic bank account with low charges.
charge noun (FORMAL ACCUSATION)
The 19-year-old will be appearing in court on Thursday where she will face criminal charges. 这位19岁的少女将于周四出庭，她将面临刑事指控。
The police have had to drop (= stop) charges against her because they couldn't find any evidence. 警方因为找不到任何证据不得不撤销了对她的指控。
[ + that ] The president responded angrily to the charge that she had lost touch with her country's people. 总统针对说她和自己的国民失去联系的指责作出了愤怒的回应。
- The company pleaded guilty to the charge of manslaughter.
- The charge of murder was altered to the lesser charge of manslaughter.
- Both men vehemently denied the charges against them.
- Criminal charges will be brought against the driver of the lorry.
- Simson, aged 19, was convicted on two charges of burglary.
charge noun (CONTROL)
Her ex-husband has charge of the children during the week and she has them at the weekend. 她的前夫在工作日照看孩子，她则在周末照顾孩子。