charity noun (GIVING)
B1 [ C or U ] a system of giving money, food, or help free to those who are in need because they are ill, poor, or have no home, or any organization that has the purpose of providing money or helping in this way慈善事业；慈善组织，慈善机构
She does a lot of work for charity. 她做了很多慈善工作。
Proceeds from the sale of these cards will go to (= be given to) local charities. 卖这些贺卡所得的收益将捐献给地方慈善组织。
- The lawyer asked the jury to take cognizance of the defendant's generosity in giving to charity.
- 5% of our profits are covenanted to charity.
- She directs a large charity.
- An anonymous businesswoman donated one million dollars to the charity.
- Thanks to a large gift from an anonymous donor, the charity was able to continue its work.