check verb (EXAMINE)
You should always check your oil, water, and tyres before taking your car on a long trip. 你每次开车长途旅行前都应当检查一下油箱、水箱和轮胎。
Customs stopped us and checked (= searched) our bags for alcohol and cigarettes. 海关人员让我们停了下来，检查我们的包里有没有烟酒。
I check on (= visits) our elderly neighbour every few days to make sure that he's alright. 我妻子每过几天就去看望我们年迈的邻居，看他是否一切都好。
[ + (that) ] I always check (that) I've shut the windows before I leave the house. 离开家前我总要检查一下，看窗户是否都已关好。
He double-checked all the doors (= checked them all twice) before leaving the house. 他离开这幢房子前又把所有的门都检查了两遍。
- It's a good idea to check the flight departure time before you leave for the airport.
- I'd like to check my bank balance, please.
- Patricia has checked the reports and can vouch for the accuracy of the information.
- You should have your teeth checked by a dentist at least twice a year.
- Remember to go over your essay checking for grammar and spelling mistakes before you hand it in to me.
check verb (STOP)
check verb (LEAVE)
check verb (AGREE)
check verb (MARK)
check verb (CHESS)
check noun (EXAMINATION)
"I can't find my keys." "Have another check in/through your jacket pockets." “我找不到钥匙了。”“在你夹克衫口袋里再找一找。”
The police are carrying out spot checks on (= quick examinations of a limited number of) drivers over the Christmas period to test for alcohol levels. 圣诞节期间，警察对司机们进行了酒精度抽检。
check noun (PATTERN)
check noun (RESTAURANT)
check noun (LIMIT)
hold/keep sth in check