clear adjective (ABLE TO BE UNDERSTOOD)
Can we make the sound any clearer? 我们能把声音再调清晰一点吗？
do I make myself clear? also is that clear?
- It's written in clear, comprehensible English.
- It became clear that he wasn't developing like all the other little boys.
- Her ideas were clear and logically presented.
- There was a clear family resemblance between all the brothers.
- The silhouette of the bare tree on the hill was clear against the winter sky.
clear adjective (CERTAIN)
[ + (that) ] It is rapidly becoming clear (to me) (that) I'm not suited to being a teacher. 我很快明白过来我不适合当老师。
- It's not clear who actually pulled the trigger.
- It isn't clear whether he fell off the balcony, or was pushed.
- In the second experiment they obtained a very clear result.
- It was made quite clear to me that if I stepped out of line again I'd be out of a job.
- It is not clear what caused the explosion, but the police do not suspect foul play.
clear adjective (PURE)
clear glass 透明的玻璃
clear adjective (NOT BLOCKED)
The journey was quite quick because the road was clear (= there was not much traffic on it). 因为交通顺畅，所以路上走得很快。
clear adjective (NOT GUILTY)
clear adjective (NOT CONFUSED)
clear adjective (WITHOUT PROBLEMS)
clear adjective (LEFT)
clear adjective (NOT TOUCHING)
clear verb (REMOVE BLOCK)
After my aunt died, we arranged for her house to be cleared (= for the furniture to be removed from it). 我姑妈过世后，我们安排清理了她的房间。
If you press this key, the computer screen will clear (= the text and pictures will be removed from it). 按这个键可以清除电脑屏幕上的文档和图片。
Shops are currently holding sales to clear their summer stock (= get rid of goods by selling them cheaply). 现在商店都在搞特价促销来清理夏季库存。
Paul helped his elderly neighbour by clearing her path of snow/clearing snow from her path. 保罗帮助那位上了年纪的邻居清扫她家门前路上的积雪。
clear your throat
- The police fired into the air to clear the demonstrators from the streets.
- I've just got to clear all this gubbins off my desk before I start working.
- Menthol can help to clear your nose when you have a cold.
- Use your noddle - clear the shelves before you paint the cupboard!
- It will be several days before snowploughs clear a path to the village.
clear verb (PROVE INNOCENCE)
clear verb (GIVE PERMISSION)
Despite local opposition, the plans for the new supermarket have been cleared by the council. 议会不顾当地居民的反对，批准了建新超市的计划。
Ladies and gentlemen, air-traffic control has now cleared the plane for take-off. 女士们先生们，飞机已得到空中管制的起飞许可。
clear verb (MAKE PURE)
The children enjoyed stirring the mud at the bottom of the pond, then watching the water slowly clear again. 孩子们喜欢搅动池底的淤泥，然后看着水重新慢慢变清。
clear verb (NOT CONFUSED)
clear verb (GET RID OF)
clear verb (HAVE LEFT)
clear verb (CHEQUE)
clear verb (NOT TOUCH)
› not touching, or away from不接触地；不靠近地；离开