close verb (NOT OPEN)
The museum closes at 5.30. 博物馆5点半闭馆。
- The council decided to close the library and now the building stands empty.
- Is it all right if I close the window?
- All 2,500 employees went on strike in protest at the decision to close the factory.
- Unless we find some new funding soon, the youth centre will have to close.
- The flowers open (out) in the morning but close again in the afternoon.
close verb (END)
close a deal
- She spoke against the decision to close the college.
- The local council has decreed that the hospital should close.
- We had to close our London office - with the rent so high it just wasn't economic.
- Sales have fallen badly this year, to the extent that we will have to close some of our shops.
- The government has come under fire for its decision to close the mines.
close noun (END)
close adjective (RELATIONSHIP)
They're a worrying political party because of their close links/ties with terrorist groups. 这个政党令人担忧，因为他们同恐怖组织有密切联系。
In those early months, there's a very close bond between mother and child. 在婴儿出生后的头几个月，母婴之间有一种非常亲密的纽带联系。
a close community 非常团结的集体
Mira is one of my closest friends. 米拉是我的一位密友。
Her relationship isn't good with her father, but she's very close to her mother. 她和父亲的关系不好，可是和母亲的关系非常亲近。
- Did you form any close friendships while you were at college?
- Historically , there have always been close links between France and Scotland.
- All her close relatives came to the wedding.
- She is one of the president's closest advisers.
- We haven't always been close, but she was there for me when I needed her.
close adjective (SECRETIVE)
close adjective, adverb (NEAR)
Don't get too close to that dog, Rosie. 罗西，别靠那条狗太近。
- Walking along the darkened street, he heard footsteps close behind him.
- Bodyguards surrounded the singer so that photographers couldn't get close.
- We live close to the railway line.
- Although close to tears, she tried to make her voice sound casual.
- He told her to stay close and not to wander off again.
close adjective, adverb (SIMILAR)
He came second in the race, but it was very close. 他跑了第二名，不过差距很小。
- There are several close affinities between the two paintings.
- He won the race, but it was very close.
- Eventually we chose Mary for the job, but it was a close decision.
- The children are very close in their musical ability.
- All three of us are close in age.