course noun (CLASSES)
I'd like to do (US take) a writing course when I retire. 退休后我想修一门写作课。
UK Tim did a three-year course in linguistics at Newcastle. 蒂姆在纽卡斯尔大学修了为期3年的语言学课程。
course noun (SPORTS AREA)
course noun (DEVELOPMENT)
In the course of (= during) the interview it became clear that he was not the right person for the job. 面试表明他并不适合这份工作。
If our rivals are spending more on advertising, we'll have to follow the same course. 如果对手增加广告投入，我们也只得奉陪。
in the course of time UK
in/with the course of time
- Once we have committed to this course of action there is no going back.
- We came up against a lot of problems in the course of building our extension.
- In the course of history, love has driven men and women to strange extremes.
- I was grateful for his letter which hastened the course of the enquiry.
- He has been accused of obstructing the course of justice .
course noun (DIRECTION)
Changing the course of the river would cause serious environmental damage to the whole valley. 河流改道会严重危害整个流域的环境。
- All attempts at diplomacy have broken down and the two states now appear to be on a collision course.
- He drove in an erratic course down the road.
- Some of the frontier between Germany and Poland follows the course of the river Oder
- The ship held its course.
- Most parents try to steer a middle course between imposing very strict discipline and letting their kids run wild.
course noun (MEAL)
a four-course lunch 四道菜的午餐
- If you make the main course, I'll make a dessert.
- I've only eaten one course and I'm already full.
- By the time the fourth course was served, I was stuffed to the gills.
- The average cost of a full three-course meal - appetizer, main course and dessert - including tip and a modest wine is about $25.
- I had salmon for my main course.
course noun (MEDICAL TREATMENT)
course noun (LAYER)
courseverb [ I usually + adv/prep ]uk /kɔːs/ us /kɔːrs/ formal
Tears were coursing down his cheeks. 泪水从他的脸颊滚落。
You could almost hear the blood coursing through her veins as she passed the finishing line. 她冲过终点时你几乎听得到血液在她血管里流动的声音。