defence noun (PROTECTION)
The rebels' only form of defence against the soldiers' guns was sticks and stones. 叛乱者只能用木棍和石块来抵御士兵们的枪弹。
The war has ended but government spending on defence (= the country's armed forces) is still increasing. 战争结束了，但政府用于国防的开支却还在增加。
When Helen criticized me, Chris came/rushed to my defence (= quickly supported me). 海伦批评我的时候，克里斯赶忙为我辩护。
The book is a closely argued defence of (= something that supports) the economic theory of Keynes. 那本书通过严密的论证为凯恩斯的经济理论进行辩护。
- Whenever anyone criticizes her husband, she immediately jumps to his defence.
- The team has a strong attack, but its defence is weak.
- They put up a sturdy defence of their proposal.
- Huge sums of money are spent on national defence.
- They have been strengthening their border defences in preparation for war.
defence noun (EXPLANATION)