direct adjective (STRAIGHT)
Is there a direct train to Edinburgh? 有到爱丁堡的直达列车吗？
- We are in direct communication with Moscow.
- If you're in a hurry to get there, take the path through the park - it's more direct.
- It's direct line from here to London King's Cross, so you won't have to change trains.
- The rebel headquarters took a direct hit from a bomb during the attack.
- His broken leg is the direct result of his own carelessness.
direct adjective (COMPLETE)
direct verb (CONTROL)
"Jaws" was directed by Steven Spielberg. 《大白鲨》是史蒂文•斯皮尔伯格导演的。
- He's directed so many movies that you might expect a few duff ones.
- Coaches will set down and uplift passengers only as directed by the police in the streets mentioned.
- The movie, three hours long, is directed in his usual idiosyncratic style.
- He was on another one of his ego trips, directing and taking the main part in a movie.
- She directs one of Europe's largest book festivals.
direct verb (AIM)
Was that remark directedat/towards me? 这话是对我说的吗？
- It's much healthier to direct your emotions outwards than to bottle them up inside you.
- Much of the violence was directed against large multinational companies.
- The government's latest anti-smoking campaign is directed at children.
- The tragedy directed public attention away from the government's domestic problems.
- Criticism is being directed at parents rather than teachers for the breakdown in classroom discipline.