eventnoun [ C ]uk /ɪˈvent/ us /ɪˈvent/
B1 one of a set of races or competitions（赛跑或竞赛的）项目
in the event UK
in the event of sth
in any event C1 UK also at all events
in either event
in that event
- The summer fête will be the school's main fundraising event this year.
- The event got off to a shaky start with the stage lights failing in the first few minutes.
- Television camera crews broadcast the event all round the world.
- A committee has been set up to organize social events in the college.
- The police are trying to determine the series of events that led up to the murder.