excuseverb [ T ]uk /ɪkˈskjuːz/ us /ɪkˈskjuːz/
B1 to forgive someone原谅；宽恕
No amount of financial recompense can excuse the way in which the company carried out its policy. 这家公司竟这样执行制度，这种行为无论用多少钱赔偿都无法让人宽恕。
We cannot excuse him for these crimes. 我们无法原谅他犯下的这些罪行。
I asked the teacher if I could be excused from (= allowed not to do) hockey practice as my knee still hurt. 我的膝盖仍然很疼，因此我向老师请假看能否不参加足球训练。
Excuse me, does this bus go to Oxford Street? 打扰一下，请问这辆公共汽车去牛津大街吗？
Excuse me, can I just get past? 劳驾，请让我过一下。
› said before disagreeing with someone（用于表示异议）请原谅，对不起
Excuse me but aren't you forgetting something? 请原谅，但你是不是忘掉了些什么？
- Will you excuse me? I've got to make a phone call.
- Please excuse my stomach rumbling - I haven't eaten all day.
- I know you are tired, but I really can't excuse you for being so rude and selfish about this.
- She is almost too kind - always excusing their bad behaviour instead of dealing with it firmly.
- Her boss cannot excuse even the smallest error, although he himself is far from perfect.
excusenoun [ C ]uk /ɪkˈskjuːs/ us /ɪkˈskjuːs/
He'd better have a good excuse for being late. 他迟到最好有正当的理由。
I've never known him to miss a meeting - I'm sure he'll have an excuse. 据我所知，他从来没有缺席过会议——我敢肯定他不来是有原因的。
Any excuse for a holiday! 只要能去度假，找任何借口都行！
make your excuses
- When I asked him why he was late, he gave me some excuse about having car trouble.
- I made up an excuse about having to look after the kids.
- I don't want to go tonight but I can't think up a good excuse.
- Whenever I ask him why his essay's late, he just comes out with the same old excuses.
- You're always making excuses for not helping me.