formeradjective [ before noun ]uk /ˈfɔː.mər/ us /ˈfɔːr.mɚ/
his former wife 他的前妻
a former employer 前雇主
the former president of the United States 美国前总统
The painting was then restored to its former glory (= returned to its original good condition). 这幅油画又恢复了原先的光彩。
formernoun [ S ]uk /ˈfɔː.mər/ us /ˈfɔːr.mɚ/
- I agree with the latter point, but not with the former.
- Of the two proposals, they accepted the former.
- Of the two options, we've gone for the former.
- The former was rejected in favour of the latter.
- The heavyweight contest between Smith and Walker was decided when the former was knocked out in the second round.