formeradjective [ before noun ]uk /ˈfɔː.mər/ us /ˈfɔːr.mɚ/
his former wife 他的前妻
a former employer 前雇主
the former president of the United States 美国前总统
The painting was then restored to its former glory (= returned to its original good condition). 这幅油画又恢复了原先的光彩。
- We need a reference from your former employer.
- Australia and New Zealand are former British colonies.
- A large majority of the population is demanding the restoration of the former government.
- She stiffened when her former husband walked into the room.
- He's a former world heavyweight boxing champion.
formernoun [ S ]uk /ˈfɔː.mər/ us /ˈfɔːr.mɚ/
- I agree with the latter point, but not with the former.
- Of the two proposals, they accepted the former.
- Of the two options, we've gone for the former.
- The former was rejected in favour of the latter.
- The heavyweight contest between Smith and Walker was decided when the former was knocked out in the second round.