help verb (MAKE EASIER)
How can I help you? 我如何才能帮你呢？
I wonder if you could help me - I'd like some information about flights to New Zealand. 不知你能否帮我个忙——我想知道些飞往新西兰的相关航班信息。
My dad said he would help with the costs of (= give part of the cost of) buying a house. 我爸爸说他会资助我们买所房子。
[ + obj + (to) infinitive ] The $10,000 loan from the bank helped her (to) start her own business. 10 000 英镑的银行贷款帮助她创办了自己的公司。
I feel that learning English will help (= improve) my chances of promotion at work. 我觉得学英语有助于我在工作上获得提升。
Nothing can help her now (= her situation is too bad for anyone to be able to improve it). 现在没人能帮得了她。
- The college now has a counsellor to help students with both personal and work problems.
- We've got to enlist some people to help prepare the food.
- Could I have a glass of water to help these pills go down ?
- It's kind of you to offer to help.
- She derived great satisfaction from helping other people.
help verb (STOP YOURSELF)
"Stop giggling!" "I can't help it!" “别再笑了！”“我忍不住呀！”
help verb (GIVE/TAKE)
- Feel free to help yourself to coffee.
- "May I help myself to some more food?" "Yes, of course."
- I wish my lodger would ask before helping himself to my food.
- My daughter just helps herself to anything she fancies from my wardrobe - usually my only good clothes!
- I'm not sure whether we should be helping ourselves to these snacks - perhaps they're meant for later.
Do you need any help with those boxes? 你需要人帮忙搬那些箱子吗？
B2 [ S ] something or someone that helps帮上忙的东西；帮手
Having a satnav would be a help. 有一台文字处理机就能帮上忙了。
a home help 家里的女佣
- The earthquake survivors are in desperate need of help.
- If you can just hold on I'll go and get some help.
- We really appreciate all the help you gave us last weekend.
- More help is needed for people on low incomes.
- If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask.