increaseverb [ I or T ]uk /ɪnˈkriːs/ us /ɪnˈkriːs/
- We need to increase public awareness of the disease.
- Our main aim is to increase sales by 12% this year.
- Studies show that if a working environment is pleasant, productivity increases.
- Students do find that their workload increases throughout the course.
- Life expectancy in Europe has increased greatly in the 20th century.
increasenoun [ C or U ]uk /ˈɪn.kriːs/ us /ˈɪn.kriːs/
on the increase
Homelessness is on the increase in many cities. 许多城市里无家可归者在增多。
- The tax increase will add 4p to a litre of petrol.
- I've managed to negotiate a five percent pay increase with my boss.
- The Opposition has condemned the government's proposed tax increases.
- Some people blame television for the increase in crime.
- An increase in average temperature by only a few degrees could cause environmental problems worldwide.