iron noun (METAL)
iron ore 铁矿
an iron deficiency 铁质缺乏
- A heavy iron chain was clamped around his wrists.
- The earth's core is a hot, molten mix of iron and nickel.
- The roof is made from sheets of corrugated iron.
- The autopsy revealed that his murderer had struck him on the head with an iron bar.
- Working iron requires higher temperatures than bronze.
iron noun (FOR CLOTHES)
a steam iron 蒸汽熨斗
a travel iron 旅行用熨斗
- I'll have to go back to the house - I think I've left the iron on.
- I'm not particularly what you would call a New Man, but I do know how to use an iron.
- The iron was too hot and he scorched the shirt.
- The hot iron left a singe mark on my dress.
- I picked up a new steam iron at the sale - it makes the ironing so much quicker and easier.