line noun (LONG MARK)
a straight line 直线
line noun (ROW)
a line of trees 一行树
a long line of
line noun (DIVISION)
- The river serves as the line of demarcation between the two counties.
- This path marks the dividing line between my land and my neighbour's.
- The president said NATO expansion will finally erase the boundary line in Europe artificially created by the Cold War.
- The ball rose in a high arc and fell behind the boundary line.
- He thought the ball had bounced on the line, but the umpire said it was out.
line noun (PHONE)
I'm afraid your line's been disconnected because your last bill hasn't been paid. 我估计你的电话线已经被切断了，因为上次的账单你还没付呢。
If you want to air your opinions live on the radio, the lines will be open (= you can phone) from eight o'clock. 如果你想通过电台广播发表自己的看法，可从8点起拨打电话。
I've got Chris Foster on the line for you. Do you want to take it now or call her back later? 克丽丝‧福斯特打电话找你。你想现在接电话还是过一会儿给她打回去？
line noun (RAILWAY)
line noun (APPROACH TO SUBJECT)
The government's official line has always been to refuse to negotiate with terrorists. 政府的官方立场一贯是拒绝与恐怖分子谈判。
The courts should take a tougher line with (= punish more severely) sex offenders. 法庭应对性犯罪者实施更加严厉的惩罚。
What sort of line (= method of arguing) do you think we should take in the pay negotiations? 你认为我们在工资谈判中应采取哪种策略？
The police are confident that this new line of inquiry will lead them to the murderer. 警方相信采用这种新的调查方法一定会找出凶手。
- Her speech deviated little from the official party line.
- The government can't be seen to be taking a soft line with criminals.
- Ministers who wouldn't toe the party line were swiftly got rid of.
- The government is continuing to take a tough line on terrorism.
- The new head teacher takes a tough line on bullying.
line noun (MILITARY)
line noun (SHAPE)
line noun (SUPPORT)
line noun (COMPANY)
line noun (REMARK)
He keeps giving me that line about not being able to do any work because his computer is down. 他不停地跟我说因为电脑有问题他没法干活了。
line noun (WORDS)
She hasn't learned her lines yet, and we've got our first rehearsal tomorrow. 我们明天就要进行首次排练了，可她连台词还没记熟呢。