long adjective (TIME)
long adjective (DISTANCE)
long hair 长发
long legs 长腿
a long dress 长裙
We're still a long way from the station. 我们离车站还很远。
long adjective (MANY WORDS)
- I got a lovely long newsy letter from Bec.
- His speech was long and dull.
- He is well known to the police and has a long criminal record .
- Your conclusion is good, but the final sentence is too long and complicated.
- It gives you a sense of achievement if you actually make it to the end of a very long book.
long adverb (TIME)
Have you been waiting (for) long? 你等了很久吗？
I'm just writing a letter but it won't take long. 我在写信，很快就写完了。
How long have you been in England? 你在英格兰呆多久了？
Don't rush - take as long as you like. 别着急——慢慢来。
I've known her longer than you have. 我认识她的时间比你长。
I won't be staying much longer. 我不会呆很久。
（与过去分词或动词的 ing 形式连用表示持续了很久的状态或活动）
long-serving employees 老雇员
long adverb (IF)
as/so long as
- Windsurfing is perfectly safe as long as you use some common sense.
- So long as he's happy - that's all that matters .
- Goods are exchangeable as long as they are returned in good condition.
- I don't foresee any difficulties so long as we keep within budget.
- I don't mind being woken up once or twice in the middle of the night by my flatmate so long as she doesn't make a habit of it .