mean verb (EXPRESS)
What does this word mean? 这个词是什么意思？
[ + that ] These figures mean that almost six percent of the working population is unemployed. 这些数字意味着近6%的劳动人口处于失业状态。
What do you mean by that remark? 你那话是什么意思？
Give it back now! I mean it. 现在就把它还了！我是说真的。
- When he said three o'clock, I thought he meant in the afternoon.
- Charges are made on a sliding scale, which means that the amount you must pay increases with the level of your income.
- If you don't know what the word means, look it up in a dictionary.
- You should take it as a compliment when I fall asleep in your company - it means I'm relaxed.
- A continuous white line in the middle of the road means no overtaking.
mean verb (HAVE RESULT)
[ + that ] Advances in electronics mean that the technology is already available. 电子学方面的进步使这项技术已经可供人们利用。
- High acidity levels in the water mean that the fish are not so large.
- Shortages mean that even staples like bread are difficult to find.
- In a way I'd prefer it if they didn't come, because it would mean extra work.
- Let's say that the journey takes three hours, that means you'll arrive at two o'clock.
- The irregularity of English spelling means that it is easy to make mistakes.
mean verb (INTEND)
be meant to do sth
› to be intended to被期望，应该，预期
We were meant to have gone away this week, but Debbie's ill so we couldn't go. 这周我们本该走了，但是戴比病了，所以我们走不了了。
mean verb (HAVE IMPORTANCE)
Possessions mean nothing to him. 财富对他来说毫无意义。
mean adjective (NOT GENEROUS)
mean adjective (NOT KIND)
Stop being so mean to me! 别对我那么刻薄！
She just said it to be mean. 她那么说就是为了让人不悦。