private adjective (PERSONAL)
Although I support the project in public, my private opinion is that it will fail. 虽然我当众支持这项计划，但我私下里认为它不会成功。
This is a private matter. 这是私事。
She's a very private person. 她是一个很内向的人。
- Unless it's marked 'private', my secretary usually opens my post.
- The hospital gives mothers no quiet private time to bond with their babies.
- We've been invited to a private viewing, before the exhibition opens.
- You had no business reading my private letters.
- Do you mind? We're trying to have a private conversation here!
private adjective (NOT OFFICIAL)
- She has her own private plane.
- How you choose to conduct your private life is your own business!
- She's decided to leave the Health Service and join a private practice.
- The government restructured the coal industry before selling it to private owners.
- The upper classes usually send their children to expensive private schools.