promptverb [ T ]uk /prɒmpt/ us /prɑːmpt/
prompt verb [ T ] (CAUSE)
› to make something happen引起；导致；激起
prompt sb to do sth
- A description of the man prompted hundreds of calls after its release on Tuesday.
- The prime minister's speech prompted speculation that an election will be held later in the year.
- His comments prompted me to find out more about the situation.
- I just can't understand what prompted him to do something so drastic.
- Without being prompted, the little boy shut his eyes, prayed silently, and began to eat..
They've written back already - that was a very prompt reply. 他们已经回信了——答复相当迅速。
promptnoun [ C ]uk /prɒmpt/ us /prɑːmpt/
prompt noun [ C ] (COMPUTER)
prompt noun [ C ] (ACTOR'S HELP)