pure adjective (NOT MIXED)
Tap water is never chemically pure. 自来水从来不是化学上的纯水。
- a shirt made of pure cotton
- He was wearing a suit made from pure silk.
- Is this plate pure gold?
- This is a pedigree poodle - her bloodline is pure.
- Her singing voice has a pure, crystalline quality.
pure adjective (COMPLETE)
pure mathematics 理论数学
pure economics 理论经济学
pure and simple
- His face wore a look of pure contentment.
- It was pure coincidence that I remembered his phone number.
- She gave him a look of pure hate.
- That article was based on pure supposition.
- The projected sales figures are pure guesswork on our part.
pure adjective (MORALLY GOOD)
He invited me up to his flat for coffee, but I didn't think that his motives were entirely pure. 他邀请我去他的公寓喝咖啡，但我认为他动机不纯。
In many cultures, it is considered important for a woman to keep herself pure (= not to have sex) until she marries. 许多文化对妇女在婚前保持贞洁这一点很是看重。