run verb (GO QUICKLY)
run for sth
run on the spot UK US run in place
run verb (TRAVEL)
A bus runs (= goes on a particular route at particular times) three times a day into town. 有一趟公共汽车每天3次开往城里。
The route/railway/road runs (= goes) across the border/into Italy/through the mountains. 这条路线／铁道／公路穿过国界／通向意大利境内／在群山中穿行。
run verb (OPERATE)
The mechanic asked me to run the engine (= switch it on and allow it to work) for a minute. 修车工人让我发动引擎转一分钟。
We're running (= doing) an experiment. 我们正在做一个试验。
run a tight ship
- We must impose some kind of order on the way this office is run.
- Modification of the engine to run on lead-free fuel is fairly simple.
- Feedback from the sensors ensures that the car engine runs smoothly.
- The engineer soon got the air-conditioning running again.
- We are running below capacity because of cancelled orders.
run verb (FLOW)
I must have washed my dress at too high a temperature, because the colour has run. 我洗这件裙子时用的水肯定太热了，因为都褪色了。
If the first layer isn't dry before you add the next one, the colours will run into each other (= mix). 如果第一层没有干就涂上第二层，那两层的颜色就会渗在一起。
run verb (BECOME)
run verb (HOLE)
run verb (SHOW)
run verb (POLITICS)
run verb (TAKE)
run noun (GO QUICKLY)
run noun (TRAVEL)
The musical's London run was a disaster. 该音乐剧在伦敦的演出彻底失败。
They're doing a run at the Cambridge Playhouse. 他们正在多玛仓库剧院进行连续演出。
- England's unbeaten run of ten games ended last night when they went down 4-2 to France.
- Her run of bad luck continued when she had her purse stolen.
- After a successful run on Broadway the musical is coming to the West End.
- The school run in the morning increases congestion on the roads.
- The bus broke down on its run between Brighton and London.
run noun (BUY)
run noun (SELL)
run noun (SERIES)
run noun (ORDINARY)
run noun (AREA)
run noun (POINT)
a home run 本垒打
- Pakistan declared at 350 for 7, leaving Australia to make an unlikely 5 runs an over to win.
- It isn't easy to score runs against pace bowlers.
- A single to extra cover brought him the run he needed to complete his century.
- Thorpe scored most of his runs on the leg side.
- England scored 158 runs before lunch for the loss of only one wicket.