settle verb (AGREE)
Good, that's all settled - you send out the invitations for the party, and I'll organize the food. 好，那就这么定了——你发聚会的请帖，我来准备吃的。
"The tickets are €40 each." "Well, that settles that - I can't afford that much." “入场券每张40英镑。”“好吧，那就算了吧，我付不起那么多钱。”
Our lawyer advised us that it would be better to settle out of court (= reach an agreement in a legal case without it being decided in a court of law). 我们的律师建议我们最好在庭外和解。
- They had to go to court to settle the argument.
- They're still dithering about who to invite, but we really need to get it settled.
- He still needs to settle the date of the meeting.
- That's settled - I never want to see him again.
- We haven't quite settled who's responsible for what.
settle verb (MAKE COMFORTABLE)
- I settled back and waited for the film to start.
- We settled in our comfortable carriage and watched the scenery roll by.
- I couldn't seem to settle the children in bed.
- I settled myself with a cup of tea and thought about what had happened.
settle verb (LIVE)
After they got married, they settled in Brooklyn. 他们结婚后在布赖顿定居下来。
- We've moved all over the country, but I'd like to settle here now.
- The Romans settled in Britain in the first century AD.
- After decades of desert life, they settled in the mountains.
settle verb (MOVE LOWER)
The house had been empty for years, and dust had settled on all the surfaces. 这座房子多年来一直空着，所有东西上面都落了一层灰。
Do you think the snow will settle (= remain on the ground and other surfaces without melting)? 你认为会积雪吗？
- The juice goes thick at the bottom when it settles.
- Snow had settled on the rooftops.
- Once dust settles in the gaps, it will not work as well.
settle verb (PAY)
settle verb (QUIET)
We're very busy this week, but things should settle (down) a bit after the weekend. 我们这个星期很忙，不过周末之后事情应该会少一点儿。
settle verb (BE IN A CERTAIN STATE)
The pound rose slightly against the dollar today, then settled at $1.53. 英镑对美元的汇率今天略有上升，之后便停留在1.53美元的价位上。