show verb (MAKE SEEN)
[ + obj + -ing verb ] The secretly filmed video shows the prince and princess kissing. 秘密拍摄的录像中出现了王子和王妃接吻的画面。
show verb (RECORD)
The right-hand dial shows the temperature, and the left-hand one shows the air pressure. 右面的刻度盘显示温度，左面的刻度盘显示气压。
show verb (EXPLAIN)
show verb (PROVE)
Show me (that) I can trust you. 证明给我看，让我可以相信你。
- Does the market research show that the product will succeed commercially ?
- The opinion polls show the three election candidates in a dead heat (with each other).
- These facts alone show that he's not to be trusted.
- Empirical studies show that some forms of alternative medicine are extremely effective.
- Surveys show that animal welfare has recently become a major concern for many schoolchildren.
show verb (EXPRESS)
- The new daytime soap opera has yet to show signs that it's clicking with the television audience.
- I was hoping she might show a little compassion.
- Could you turn your music down and show a little consideration for the neighbours!
- We need to show a bit of cunning if we want to trick the enemy.
- We are demonstrating to show our anger and disgust at the treatment of refugees.
show verb (NOTICEABLE)
"Oh no, I've spilled red wine on my jacket!" "Don't worry, it doesn't show." “啊，不好，我把葡萄酒洒到夹克上了！”“没事儿，看不出来。”
The drug does not show up in blood tests because it is effective in very small quantities. 血液检验不会发现这些药物，因为只需极小的剂量它就能发挥作用。
When we moved in, the house hadn't been decorated for 20 years, and it showed. 我们搬进去时，那房子已有20年没有装修了，这能看得出来。
show your age
show verb (PUBLIC EVENT)
show verb (LEAD)
show verb (FAIL TO HIDE)
show verb (MAKE UNDERSTAND)
show noun (ENTERTAINMENT)
- People came from afar to see the show.
- She comperes that awful game show on Saturday night.
- A crowd congregated around the entrance to the theatre, hoping to catch a glimpse of the stars of the show.
- The Circus has been described as the greatest show on earth .
- We can either eat now or after the show - it's up to you.
show noun (PUBLIC EVENT)
They put on a retrospective show of his work at the National Museum of American Art. 他们在美国国家艺术博物馆为他举行了一次作品回顾展。
show noun (EXPRESSION)
In a show of solidarity, the management and workers have joined forces to campaign against the closure of the factory. 管理层和工人们出人意料地团结一致，共同反对关闭工厂。
show noun (FALSE APPEARANCE)
Despite its public show of unity, the royal family had its share of disagreements just like any other. 尽管在公众面前表现得很团结，实际上王室和其他家庭一样也存在着分歧。