smell verb (CHARACTERISTIC)
That cake smells good. 那蛋糕闻起来不错。
- Those toilets smell foul!
- This milk smells funny.
- You smell lovely - what's your perfume?
- He always smells of cigarettes.
- My armpits were starting to smell.
smell verb (DISCOVER)
Come and smell these flowers! 过来闻闻这些花！
Can you smell something burning? 你闻到烧焦味了吗？
- I could smell smoke on the night air.
- I can smell onions cooking.
- Smell this perfume.
- I could smell alcohol on his breath.
- Can you smell gas?
smell verb (ABILITY)
Humans can't smell as well as dogs. 人的嗅觉不如狗灵敏。
- My nose is blocked so I can't smell.
- If you can't smell, your ability to taste is also impaired.
- It feels so unnatural not to be able to smell.
- Not being able to smell has its advantages.
- Many animals are able to smell better than humans.
smell noun (CHARACTERISTIC)
There's a delicious smell in here. 这儿有一种很香的气味。
the smell of sth literary
- the smell of decaying meat
- The delicious smell of freshly-made coffee came from the kitchen.
- There was an unpleasant smell coming from the drains.
- What's that horrible smell?
- The smell of hospitals always makes my stomach turn.
smell noun (ABILITY)
Smell is one of the five senses. 嗅觉是5种感觉官能之一。
Dogs have a very good sense of smell. 狗的嗅觉很灵敏。
- Sharks have a highly developed sense of smell.
- She has a very keen sense of smell.
- As you get older you tend to lose your sense of smell.
- He has a very poor sense of smell.
- Pregnancy can change your sense of smell.