spare adjective (EXTRA)
Do you have a spare pen? 你有多余的笔吗？
- I keep a spare tyre in the back of the car.
- Do it in a spare moment at the weekend or whenever - it really doesn't matter.
- We should be in when you arrive, but if the worst comes to the worst, the neighbours have a spare key and will let you into the house.
- We were able to bunk down in a spare room for the night.
- He bought an old engine and cannibalized it for spare parts.
spare adjective (THIN)
spare adjective (NOT DECORATED)
spare verb (SAVE)
spare verb (AVOID)
Luckily, I was spared the embarrassment of having to sing in front of everyone. 幸运的是，我躲过了在大家面前唱歌的尴尬。
spare verb (TRY HARD)
spare no effort/expense
spare verb (GIVE)
[ + two objects ] Could you spare me £20? 你能匀给我10英镑吗？
spare a thought for sb
C1 left over or more than you need剩下，多余
If you have any woolyarn to spare when you've finished the sweater, can you make me some gloves? 如果你织完毛衣还剩下毛线的话，可以给我织副手套吗？