speech noun (SAY WORDS)
Some expressions are used more in speech than in writing. 有些表达方式在口语中比书面语中用得多。
speech noun (FORMAL TALK)
I had to give/make a speech at my brother's wedding. 我得在我弟弟的婚礼上讲话。
The Governor of New York delivered a rousing speech to the national convention. 纽约州州长在全国代表大会上作了激动人心的发言。
He gave the after-dinner speech (= a talk given after a formal evening meal at which a large number of people are present). 他在晚宴后作了演说。
- Her speech was received with cheers and a standing ovation.
- She closed the meeting with a short speech.
- The vicar's forgetting his lines in the middle of the speech provided some good comedy.
- Her speech caused outrage among the gay community.
- She concluded the speech by reminding us of our responsibility.