speed noun (RATE OF MOVEMENT)
He came off the road while driving his car round a bend at high/breakneck speed (= very fast). 他在弯道上开得飞快，结果冲出了公路。
There are speed restrictions (= controls on how fast traffic is allowed to move) on this part of the road. 这段路是限速的。
the speed of light/sound
- The hummingbird beats its wings at great speed.
- With this drill it's possible to adjust the speed of rotation.
- The engine shuts off automatically when the desired speed is reached.
- Slack off your speed as you approach the corner.
- The police car drove past at a terrific speed.
speed noun (DRUG)
speedverb [ I or T, usually + adv/prep ]uk /spiːd/ us /spiːd/ sped or speeded, sped or speeded
This year is speeding by/past. 这一年过得特别快。
- O'er land and sea they sped.
- The car pulled off and sped up the road.
- The train sped through the station with a whoosh.
- We are trying to speed investment in the area.
- Four boys on motorbikes came speeding down the road.