sympathy noun (UNDERSTANDING)
The president has sent a message of sympathy to the relatives of the dead soldiers. 总统已经向阵亡士兵的家属发去了唁电。
I don't have much sympathy for her - I think she's brought her troubles on herself. 我不太同情她——我觉得她是在自找麻烦。
offer/send your sympathies formal
- She said that she was deeply moved by all the letters of sympathy she had received.
- I have absolutely no sympathy for people who get into debt by overspending.
- George was a wonderful man - you have my greatest sympathy.
- It's your own fault Colin, you'll get no sympathy from me!
- I feel a lot of sympathy for him, it can't be easy bringing up three children on your own.
sympathy noun (SUPPORT)
sympathies [ plural ]