taxnoun [ C or U ]uk /tæks/ us /tæks/
- A person's gross income is the money they earn before tax is deducted from it.
- The government have promised that they'll reduce taxes.
- The government will pay for the new schools by increasing the tax on luxury goods.
- Do you pay less tax if you're self-employed?
- The Chancellor has increased the tax on alcohol again.
taxverb [ T ]uk /tæks/ us /tæks/
tax verb [ T ] (MONEY)
C1 to make someone pay a tax对…征税，对…课税
- There was great opposition to plans to tax books.
- All subjects were taxed by the king.
- Any amount over this figure will be taxed.
- She is not taxed on these earnings because they are so low.