time noun (MINUTES/DAYS/YEARS)
Over the course of time (= as years have gone past), holes have formed in the rock. 随着岁月的流逝，岩石上出现了洞眼。
If you'd taken more time with/over (= spent more time doing) this essay, you could have done it much better. 如果你在这篇文章上多花些时间，本可以写得好得多。
in no time C1 also in next to no time
no time to lose
for all time literary
I will love you for all time. 我会永远爱你。
of all time
- I'd like some time to consider before I make a decision.
- If we cut across the field, it'll save time.
- She spends a good deal of her time in Glasgow.
- How much time do you allow yourself to get ready in the morning?
- A considerable amount of time and effort has gone into this exhibition.
time noun (SYSTEM)
time noun (TIME AVAILABLE)
B1 If you have time, you have enough time to do something.有时间
run out of time
be (all) out of time
time's up informal
time noun (PERIOD)
After a time, it became clear that nobody was interested in coming to the meetings. 起初我很喜欢修习的课程，但过了一段时间后就厌烦了。
That was the best restaurant I've been to for/in a long time (= a long period has gone past since I went to such a good restaurant). 那是我很长一段时间以来去过的最好的饭店。
It was some time ago that I last heard from her. 我最后一次收到她的信已有一段时间了。
During her time (= while she was) in office, the prime minister introduced a large number of changes. 首相在执政期间推行了多项改革。
have/take time off
for a time
for the time being
- I cherish the memories of the time we spent together.
- Childhood is not always a happy time.
- She has a difficult time ahead of her.
- Being out of work for a long time is very demoralizing.
- Have we got time for a quick drink?
time noun (PARTICULAR POINT)
What time is it? 现在几点了？
mainly UK "What's the time?" "It's ten o'clock." “现在什么时间？”“10点钟。”
What time do you finishwork? 你什么时候完成工作？
Have you got the time? (= Do you know what time it is?) 你知道几点了吗？
He's teaching his daughter to tell the time (= to recognize what time it is by looking at a clock). 他在教女儿看钟表。
When would be a good time for me to call you? 我什么时候给你打电话合适？
"What would be the best time of day for us to deliver the table?" "Oh, any time will be OK." “我们什么时候送桌子最合适？”“哦，什么时候都行。”
Today's temperatures will be normal for the time of year (= will be as they are expected to be in this season). 今天的气温会和往年此时的平均气温一样。
Just think, this time (= at the same particular point during) next week we'll be in Aruba. 想想吧，下星期这个时候我们就在毛里求斯了。
We regret that at the present time (US also at this time) we are unable to supply the products you ordered. 很遗憾，我们现在无法供应您订的货。
at the time
at your time of life
- What time would it be convenient for me to come round?
- By the time the meal began, the youngest children were getting tired and crotchety.
- I might go to the cinema tomorrow - it depends what time I get home from work.
- The train was empty by the time it reached London.
- The exact time of the accident was 2.43 pm.
time noun (SUITABLE POINT)
holiday time 假期
party time 聚会时间
It's time (that) I was leaving. 我该动身了。
The repairs to the road were finished two weeks ahead of time (= sooner than was expected). 道路维修工程提前两星期完成了。
Why is it that the buses never run on time (= make their journeys in the expected number of hours, etc.)? 为什么火车从不准点？
(right/dead/bang) on time informal
ahead of time mainly US
about time C1 also high time informal
about time UK also about time too, not before time informal
- It's time we dug up those potatoes.
- Many politicians argued that this was no time to disarm .
- The submarine dived just in time to avoid the enemy attack.
- Drink up! It's time to go.
- Borrowers are expected to return books on time.
time noun (OCCASION)
The four-times champion (= the champion on four occasions in the past) was defeated in the second round. 这名曾4度夺冠的选手出人意料地在比赛的第二轮就被打败了。
If I'd known at the time (= then) that she was his former wife, I'd never have said what I did. 我当时要是知道她是他前妻的话，我就不会那样说了。
Someti`mes I enjoy my English classes, but at other times I find them really boring. 有时我很喜欢英语课，但有时也感觉很枯燥。
For the umpteenth/hundredth/thousandth time, (= I've told you on many occasions to) stop teasing your sister. 我无数次／上百次／上千次告诉过你，别再打你妹妹了。
Did you have a bad/good time (= an unpleasant/enjoyable experience) at the conference? 你在大会上感到不舒服／舒服吗？
from time to time
B2 sometimes, but not often偶尔，有时
From time to time I still think of her. 我偶尔还会想起她。
time after time
time and (time) again
at all times
at (any) one time also at a time, also at any given time
the times UK
- The announcement came at a bad time.
- Don't be daft - let me pay - you paid last time.
- Every time I ring her, the phone is engaged.
- I fell in love with him the first time I saw him.
- I was embarrassed at the time, but I had a good laugh about it later.
time noun (HISTORICAL PERIOD)
"A Tale of Two Cities" is set at the time of the French Revolution. 查尔斯‧狄更斯的小说《双城记》是以法国大革命时期为背景的。
In/During medieval times, women thought to be witches were burned at the stake. 中世纪时期，人们把被认为是女巫的女人烧死在火刑柱上。
He is widely regarded as one of the best writers of modern/our times (= the present or very recent past). 人们普遍认为他是现代／我们这个时代最优秀的作家之一。
at one time C2
› in the past过去；一度
At one time, George Eliot lived here. 乔治‧艾略特曾一度住在这里。
ahead of your time UK also before your time
before sb's time
- These coins were used in Roman times.
- My novel is set in the time of the French Revolution.
- I don't suppose we'll find life on Mars in my time.
time noun (RACE)
time noun (MUSIC)
This piece is written in 4/4 time. 这支曲子是四分之四拍的。
Small children often have difficulty singing in time with the music (= at the same speed at which the music is being played). 幼儿唱歌时常常难以与音乐合拍。
It seemed to me as if the violins were playing out of time (= at a different speed from the other instruments playing the same piece of music). 我觉得小提琴似乎不合拍。
To beat time is to make a regular series of sounds at the same speed as a piece of music is played. 打拍子就是跟着音乐的节奏制造出一系列有规律的声响
time noun (PRISON)
time noun (DRINKING)
timeverb [ T ]uk /taɪm/ us /taɪm/
time verb [ T ] (ARRANGE)
If you time your departure carefully, you should be able to miss the worst of the traffic. 如果精心安排好出发的时间，你应该能够避开交通堵塞最严重的时段。
- They timed the book to coincide with the film release.
- They timed the trip for after the end of their project.