trial noun (LEGAL PROCESS)
trial proceedings 审判程序
- Ten witnesses are expected to testify at the trial today.
- The judge reacted angrily to the suggestion that it hadn't been a fair trial.
- The terrorists were put on trial six years after the bombing.
- After the trial, his family said they had lost all faith in the judicial system.
- He is fighting extradition to Hong Kong to face trial on fraud charges.
trial noun (TEST)
- Clinical trials of the new drug may take five years.
- Preliminary results show that the vaccine is effective, but this has to be confirmed by further medical trials.
- We've got a lawnmower on trial.
- Preliminary trials show that the drug may be effective.