turn verb (GO ROUND)
- There was no air conditioning, just a ceiling fan turning slowly.
- I heard someone turn a key in the lock.
- She turned the handle and slowly opened the door.
- We watched as the sails of the windmill slowly started to turn.
- When this wheel turns, it makes those big stones turn which grind the grain into flour.
turn verb (CHANGE DIRECTION)
She turned to face him. 她转过身面对他。
He turned round and waved to us. 他转身向我们招手。
He turned on his heel (= turned quickly to face the opposite direction) and left the room. 他迅速转身离开了房间。
His wife tried to speak to him, but he turned his back (on her)/turned away (from her) (= moved so that his back, not his face, was towards her to show his anger). 他的妻子想跟他说话，可他却转过身去不予理睬。
At about three o'clock, the tide started to turn (= the sea started to come closer to or move away from the beach). 大约3点钟，潮水开始涌动。
I'll just turn the car round and go back the way we came. 我这就调转车头，原路返回。
turn verb (CHANGE POSITION)
He turned over two or three pages. 他翻了两三页。
She put out the light, turned over (= rolled in order to face in another direction) and went to sleep. 她熄了灯，翻了个身，就睡着了。
- The car spun off the road, turned over twice and came to rest in a field.
- That painting is upside-down - turn it the other way, quick!
- It's time to turn the cassette over - that side's finished.
- Turn the cushion the other way up, so that the stain doesn't show.
- He keeps turning the pages, but I don't think he can actually be reading it that quickly.
turn verb (BECOME)
The mood of the meeting turned solemn when the extent of the problem became known. 当问题的严重程度披露后，会议的气氛开始变得严肃起来。
The companies worked well together for a while, but eventually the relationship turned sour (= became bad). 这些公司一度合作得很好，但最后关系闹僵了。
Keele, pop star turned business tycoon, has launched a new range of cosmetics. 基尔，从流行音乐歌星摇身成为商业巨子，已经推出了一个新系列的化妆品。
turn 16, nine o'clock, etc.
- He started to turn grey in his mid-forties.
- We're planning to turn the smallest bedroom into an office.
- The situation could turn nasty at any moment.
- He was an amateur singer until the age of 40, when he turned professional.
- You make wine by leaving grape juice to ferment until all the sugar has turned to alcohol.
turn verb (SWITCH)
Turn off/out the light. 关灯。
Who turned the TV on? 谁开的电视？
turn verb (TWIST)
turn verb (WOOD)
turn noun (TIME TO DO STH)
Is it my turn yet? 轮到我了吗？
[ + to infinitive ] I waited so long for my turn to see the careers adviser that I missed my bus. 我等了很长时间才轮到见就业顾问，结果错过了火车。
take turns B2 UK also take it in turn(s)
in turn C1 also by turns
turn noun (GO ROUND)
turn noun (CHANGE IN DIRECTION)
on the turn
the turn of sth
turn noun (DEVELOPMENT)
take a ... turn