twist verb (TURN)
- "How do I get the top off this bottle?" "Push it down and twist it anti-clockwise."
- She fell awkwardly when she was skiing and twisted her ankle.
- After twisting and turning for a while, he managed to wriggle free.
- We twisted the pieces of wire together.
- He used supernatural powers to twist metal.
twist verb (CHANGE)
This report shows how she twisted the truth to claim successes where none, in fact, existed. 这份报告表明她歪曲事实，她所宣称的那些成就其实根本不存在。
You're twisting my words - that's not what I said at all. 你在歪曲我的话——我根本不是那样说的。
twist noun (TURN)
an Elvis-style twist of the hips 猫王式的臀部扭动
a twist of hair 麻花辫
a twist of lemon 柠檬片卷
- Have you heard the latest twist in the saga of Gary's divorce?
- All his stories have an unexpected twist at the end.
- By a strange twist of fate, were both in New York on that day.
twist noun (CHANGE)
The story took a surprise twist today with media reports that the doctor had resigned. 媒体报道该医生已经辞职，从而使事情在今天有了惊人的转折。
The incident was the latest twist in the continuing saga of fraud and high scandal in banks and stock brokerages. 此事件是银行和股票经纪公司持续不断的诈骗和高层丑闻的最新发展。
But for a cruel twist of fate/fortune, he could now be running his own business. 要不是时运不济，他现在可能正在经营自己的公司了。