work noun (ACTIVITY)
I've got so much work to do. 我有一大堆工作要做。
Aileen does most of the work around the house. 阿德里安做大部分的家务活儿。
- In common with many mothers, she feels torn between her family and her work.
- You need to have agile fingers to do this kind of work.
- We had a disagreement over the fee for the work.
- We've finished decorating upstairs but the downstairs still needs some work.
- They pay me next to nothing but I really enjoy the work.
work noun (PLACE)
When does she leave for work? 她什么时候去上班？
work noun (CREATION)
The museum has many works by Picasso as well as other modern painters. 这家博物馆有很多毕加索的作品，也有不少其他现代画家的作品。
the poetic works of Tagore 泰戈尔的诗作
- This novel is his best work to date.
- The mature works of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert belong to the Classical period.
- The museum's collection includes works of art from all around the world.
- The exhibition juxtaposes Picasso's early drawings with some of his later works.
- In a coda to the main exhibition are various works which were once attributed to Rembrandt.
work noun (EVERYTHING)
the works informal
work noun (FACTORY)
work noun (MACHINE)
work verb (HAVE EFFECT)
Some people think I'm weird doing meditation, but it works for me and that's all that matters. 有些人认为我进行冥想有点古怪，但这对我有用，这才是最重要的。
- The argument that sanctions should be given more time to work is seductive but fatally flawed.
- In conclusion, I submit that the proposal will not work without some major changes.
- The opposition claimed that the government's education policy was not working.
- My new diet seems to be working. I've lost weight already.
- These tactics worked well in the last match.
work verb (DO JOB)
He works at the hospital. 他在当地的医院工作。
It's not unusual for a junior doctor to work a 70 or sometimes an 80-hour week. 对于一名初级医生来说，每周工作70甚或80小时是很平常的。
work verb (OPERATE)
Our phone isn't working. 我们的电话坏了。
I can't get the radio to work. 我怎么也鼓弄不好这台收音机。
- You're welcome to it - I can never get it to work properly.
- Dust particles must have got into the motor, which is why it isn't working properly.
- How do you work this machine?
- It's a common-or-garden washing machine with just the basic functions, but it works perfectly well.
- The machine works according to the principle of electromagnetic conduction.
work verb (SUCCEED IN BECOMING)
He started as a technician and worked his way up through the company to become managing director. 他从一名技术员做起，一步一步晋升为公司的总经理。
Eventually she worked her way through (= read) the huge amount of technical papers. 最后她终于读完了一大堆技术论文。
- Sidney ruthlessly worked his way up from the position of junior clerk to chairman of the company.
- She is now a senior executive having worked her way up through the company.
- The splinter had worked its way under his skin.
- It will take all weekend to work through this pile of marking.
- She plans to work her way to the top.
work verb (ARRANGE)