action noun (DOING SOMETHING)
[ + to infinitive ] Action to prevent the spread of the disease is high on the government's agenda. 採取行動防止疾病蔓延是政府的當務之急。
We must take action (= do something) to deal with the problem before it spreads to other areas. 在這個問題蔓延到其他地區之前我們一定要採取行動將其解決。
So what's the plan of action? (= What are we going to do?) 那麼行動計劃是甚麼？
The complaints system swings into action (= starts to work) as soon as a claim is made. 一旦有人提出索賠，投訴處理系統就馬上啟動。
- The government is supporting military action.
- The richer countries of the world must take action to help the poorer countries.
- I hope these arguments have convinced you of the need for action.
- The army are said to be ready for action.
- It is clear that most women supported this action, from the results of the opinion poll.
action noun (SOMETHING DONE)
B2 [ C ] something that you do行為，作為，所做之事
I'll say the words and you can mime the actions. 我會說出這些詞，你可以做動作把它們的意思表達出來。
- She wrote an angry letter to the paper complaining about the council's action.
- The four soldiers received medals for their brave actions.
- The defendant was depressed and therefore not fully responsible for her own actions.
- We will not allow the violent actions of terrorists to change our way of life.
- I'm sorry I punched him, it was a reflex action.
action noun (ACTIVITY)
I like movies with a lot of action. 我喜歡情節緊湊的影片。
where the action is
- I like a lowbrow action movie once in a while.
- Her latest film is the staple offering of action and comedy which we have come to expect.
- It's a typical action film with plenty of spectacular stunts.
- At various points in the play, the action tips over from comedy into farce.
- He landed a part in a multi-million pound action thriller and made the Hollywood A list.
action noun (EFFECT)
- Accumulations of sand can be formed by the action of waves on coastal beaches.
- The action of market forces means that the cost of something rises if demand for it rises and the amount available remains constant.
- His many years of research made him an expert on the action of snake venom.
- The distinctive landscape has been formed by the action of running water on the limestone.
- The project will study the action of various drugs on the human body.
action noun (WAR)
action noun (WAY THING WORKS)
action noun (LEGAL PROCESS)
a libel action 誹謗訴訟