alarm noun (WARNING)
- If the alarm sounds, leave the building immediately.
- The fire alarm goes off accidentally so often that when it's the real thing nobody will take any notice.
- Quick, sound the alarm - there's a fire in the machine room!
- Police said the thieves were obviously well acquainted with the alarm system at the department store.
- I heard his alarm clock bleeping this morning.
alarm noun (WORRY)
I didn't tell her that he was late because I didn't want to cause her any alarm. 我沒有告訴她他來晚了，因為我不想讓她擔驚受怕。
- The birds flew off in alarm when the cat appeared.
- There was alarm in the stock market today when prices suddenly began to drop.
- The gun shot made the monkeys chatter in alarm.
- It's all right, everybody - there's no need for alarm.
- A bomb threat caused great alarm in the City this morning.