answernoun [ C ]uk /ˈɑːn.sər/ us /ˈæn.sɚ/
answer noun [ C ] (REACTION)
The minister promised to give a written answer to the MP's detailed question. 對於議員提出的那個涉及很多細節的問題，部長答應給予書面答覆。
We've emailed him asking him if he's free on that date but we haven't had an answer yet. 我們已經去信問他那天是否有空，但還沒有收到回信。
I've just called him but there was no answer. 我剛給他打過電話，但沒人接。
answer noun [ C ] (SOLUTION)
- I spent hours doing that calculation and I still got the answer wrong.
- Surely the answer's obvious - or are you being deliberately obtuse?
- You got 20 percent of the answers right - that means one in every five.
- You'll never guess the answer - do you give in?
- His nimble mind calculated the answer before I could key the numbers into my computer.
answer verb (REACT)
You haven't answered my question. 你還沒有回答我的問題。
I texted asking whether he'd be coming to the party but he hasn't answered yet. 我寫信問他是否來參加聚會，但他還沒有回覆。
[ + speech ] "I'd love to have dinner with you, but I won't be able to get there before nine o'clock," she answered. 「我很樂意和你共進晚餐，但我九點之前趕不到那裡，」她答道。
formal Does anyone here answer to the name of (= is anyone here called) Wallis? 這兒有誰名叫沃利斯嗎？