ask verb (QUESTION)
[ + question word ] I've no idea what time the train leaves. Ask the guard whether he knows. 我不知道火車甚麼時候開，問問車長是否知道。
- First I'd like to ask you a few questions about your childhood.
- I just wanted to ask you if you're free this afternoon.
- I hate having to ask for money.
- If you want any time off work you'll have to ask the boss.
- We had to ask our guide to interpret for us.
ask verb (INVITE)
UK I've asked David to the party. 我已經邀請了大衛來參加派對。
"Are you going to Muriel's party?" "No, I haven't been asked." 「你會參加繆裡爾的派對嗎？」「不，我沒有接到邀請。」
- I dare you to ask him to dance.
- He told me - and this is strictly entre nous - that he's going to ask Ruth to marry him.
- He couldn't get up the courage to ask her for a date.
- She managed to muster the courage to ask him to the cinema.
ask verb (EXPECT)
He asks too much of me - I can't always be there to help him. 他對我的要求太過分了——我不能總在那裡幫他吧。
- They were asking £180,000 for the place, so I put in an offer of £170,000.
- They're asking £60,000 for their flat, but the market price is nearer £55,000.
- We thought they were asking a very high price.
- I thought being asked to miss my lunch was a bit much.
- To expect me to look after her kids all day is asking a bit much.