awkward adjective (DIFFICULT)
- If he persists in asking awkward questions, then send him to the boss.
- When two of your best friends argue it puts you in a very awkward position.
- He fielded some awkward questions very skilfully.
- If they ask any awkward questions, just let me do the talking.
- It's going to be awkward, to say the least.
awkward adjective (EMBARRASSING)
There followed an awkward silence while we all tried to think of something to say. 然後是一段令人尷尬的沉默，我們都絞盡腦汁地想說點甚麼的。
I always feel awkward when I'm with Chris - he's so difficult to talk to. 我跟克裡斯在一起總感到為難——與他這人交談太費勁了。
- He's very deft at handling awkward situations.
- Somehow she managed to fend off the awkward questions.
- It's always awkward when you meet someone you know, but you can't remember their name.
- Her remarks produced an awkward silence.
- After a long, awkward pause someone asked a question.