celebrate verb (ENJOY AN OCCASION)
- We always celebrate our wedding anniversary with a bottle of champagne.
- The whole town came out to celebrate his return from the war.
- The people at the table behind us were celebrating someone's birthday.
- Crowds celebrated the dictator's deposition.
- How did you celebrate the Millennium?
celebrate verb (PRAISE)
- The recording has been reissued to celebrate the conductor's 80th birthday.
- Stars of the entertainment world turned out to celebrate his 40th year in show business.
- Her music celebrates the power of nature.