character noun (QUALITY)
The idea was to modernize various aspects of the house without changing its essential character. 這個意念就是使房子各方面現代化而不改變它的基本特徵。
It's not in his character to be (= he is not usually) jealous. 他不是個愛嫉妒的人。
a hotel of character 獨具特色的飯店
She has such strength of character. 她個性很強。
- The area where I grew up has been all modernized and has lost all its old character.
- It's very tasteful, their house, but I can't help thinking it lacks a little character.
- Closing the factory would irrevocably alter the character of the local community for the worse.
- There's a marked contrast between his character and hers.
- The way he drives says a lot about his character.
character noun (IN A STORY)
She had Mickey Mouse or some other cartoon/Disney character on her sweater. 她的毛衣上有米老鼠或另外其他的卡通／迪士尼人物的圖案。
- The Incredible Hulk is a character in a comic who turns from a scientist into a two-metre tall monster.
- Michelle is the central female character in ITV's latest comedy series.
- In the movie she's depicted as a very cold and calculating character.
- The characters in the book are just stereotypes.
- Charles Schulz created the characters 'Snoopy' and 'Charlie Brown'.
character noun (PERSON)
- She's a rather odd character.
- There were some dodgy looking characters hanging around.
character noun (MARK)