check verb (EXAMINE)
You should always check your oil, water, and tyres before taking your car on a long trip. 你每次開車長途旅行前都應當檢查一下油箱、水箱和輪胎。
Customs stopped us and checked (= searched) our bags for alcohol and cigarettes. 海關人員要求我們停下，檢查我們的隨身行李裡有沒有煙酒。
I check on (= visits) our elderly neighbour every few days to make sure that he's alright. 我妻子每過幾天就去探望我們年邁的鄰居，看他是否一切安好。
[ + (that) ] I always check (that) I've shut the windows before I leave the house. 離家前我總要檢查一下，看窗戶是否都已關好。
He double-checked all the doors (= checked them all twice) before leaving the house. 他離開這幢房子前又把所有的門都檢查了兩次。
- It's a good idea to check the flight departure time before you leave for the airport.
- I'd like to check my bank balance, please.
- Patricia has checked the reports and can vouch for the accuracy of the information.
- You should have your teeth checked by a dentist at least twice a year.
- Remember to go over your essay checking for grammar and spelling mistakes before you hand it in to me.
check verb (STOP)
check verb (LEAVE)
check verb (AGREE)
check verb (MARK)
check verb (CHESS)
check noun (EXAMINATION)
"I can't find my keys." "Have another check in/through your jacket pockets." 「我找不到鎖匙了。」「在你夾克衫口袋裡再找一找。」
The police are carrying out spot checks on (= quick examinations of a limited number of) drivers over the Christmas period to test for alcohol levels. 聖誕節期間，警方對司機進行了酒精度抽檢。
check noun (PATTERN)
check noun (RESTAURANT)
check noun (LIMIT)
hold/keep sth in check