claim verb (SAY)
[ + (that) ] The company claims (that) it is not responsible for the pollution in the river. 公司聲稱對該河流污染沒有責任。
- Some people still claim that there is no firm evidence linking smoking with lung cancer.
- They claim to be the biggest company in the world, which is true if you include their subsidiaries.
- The study claims that British advertising stereotypes women.
- It is claimed that the officers tortured a man to death in 1983 in a city police station.
- Dean tricked the old lady into giving him eight hundred pounds, claiming that he would invest it for her.
claim verb (DEMAND)
The number of people claiming unemployment benefits has risen sharply this month. 這個月要求領取失業救濟金的人數激增。
- You can claim back the overpaid tax by filling in this form.
- She is claiming damages from the company for wrongful dismissal.
- If you don't claim the money you are entitled to now, you might never get it.
- Can we claim on our insurance for any goods lost or damaged in transit?
- He was claiming unemployment benefit illegally, while he was actually working.
claimnoun [ C ]uk /kleɪm/ us /kleɪm/
claim noun [ C ] (STATEMENT)
He said the police assaulted him while he was in custody, a claim that the police deny. 他說員警在他被拘留期間毆打了他，但警方否認了這種說法。
- I haven't seen one iota of evidence to support his claim.
- His claim to be an important and unjustly neglected painter is sheer self-deception - he's no good at all.
- There is a growing body of evidence to support their claim.
- Many experts remain sceptical about his claims.
- I suspect his claims are not all they seem - he tends to exaggerate.
claim noun [ C ] (DEMAND)
› a right to have something or get something from someone（對某事物的）權利，所有權
Our neighbours have no claim to (= cannot say that they own) that strip of land between our houses. 我們的鄰居無權擁有我們兩間房屋之間的那塊狹長空地。
- I enclose a cheque in settlement of your claim.
- He marked the spot on his map where he had seen the gold and returned later that month to stake his claim.
- The company produced receipts in substantiation of its claim.
- We had to send a doctor's report in support of our claim to the insurance company.
- She made a claim for compensation.